Bunkum Cave/Cordell Hull Birthplace State Park
The Cordell Hull Birthplace and Museum is a historic site owned by the State of Tennessee. The site consists of a representation of Hull's log cabin birthplace, which is an activities center and a museum housing documents and artifacts.
Also on the park, and highly recommended, is beautiful Bunkum Cave Trail leading to an overlook and the actual entrance of historic Bunkum Cave where Cordell Hull's father made moonshine years ago. The trail leads through a bottomland hardwood forest with an understory of pawpaw (Asimina trilobia).
Things to do in Cordell Hull Birthplace State Park
The hike to the overlook is 3/4 mile (1.5 miles roundtrip), and the hike to the cave entrance is an additional one-half mile (2.5 miles roundtrip). Meandering through the mixed deciduous forest, the hiker may be able to view a variety of plant and animal life. Spring wildflowers in late March - early May are exceptional. The view of the cave is most impressive, the entrance measures 100 feet wide and 50 feet tall.
The site includes a representation of Hull's log cabin birthplace and period gardens; the Cordell Hull Museum which displays a variety of photographs and artifacts; and an activities center. The park also includes the Hull Library and Archives that houses the entire Cordell Hull Collection consisting of more than 1,500 books and hundreds of original photographs, documents and three dimensional objects. The collection includes his Nobel Peace Prize, as a replica is on display in the museum.
Download the Park Map
For More Information
1300 Cordell Hull Memorial Drive
Byrdstown, Tennessee 38549
- Dale Hollow Lake, 1.7 miles away
- Good Neighboors Theater, 2.7 miles away
- The Cottages at Dale Hollow, 2.8 miles away
- The Dixie Cafe, 3.1 miles away
- Overlook Cabin, 3.1 miles away
- trip to tennessee - Created 02/17/2013
- Rollercoaster Yard Sale History Sites - Created 08/14/2012
- Rollercoaster Historic Sites - Created 08/13/2012
- birthday trip - Created 08/01/2012
- TN's 127 Sale Historic Sites - Created 07/20/2012
- Museums in the Cumberlands - Created 07/19/2012
- Upper Cumberland History - Created 07/12/2012
- Cottage, Cafe & History Trip - Created 06/21/2012
- hiking - Created 05/31/2012